About The Mobile Sports Authority
The Mobile Sports Authority (MSA) is a non-profit sports commission formed in 2008 by the Mobile County Commission. The main mission is to create a positive economic and public relations impact for Mobile County, the City of Mobile, and the region through attracting, hosting, managing and supporting sporting events. MSA is the main point of contact for sports and sports-related activities for the Mobile County area. For more information on MSA, please visit www.mobilesportsauthority.com.
About Team Share the Road
Team Share the Road was organized in May of 2011. We currently have over 500 members and are continuing to grow. The purpose of Team Share the Road is:
1) to educate and promote safe bicycling;
2) to assist in funding for accommodations for bicyclists and pedestrians;
3) to assist in funding Complete Streets Projects and Safe Route to Schools Projects;
4) to support the Traffic Safety Center of University of Montevallo and the Child Safety Institute at Children’s Hospital of Alabama;
5) to purchase helmets for those in need;
6) to purchase equipment for indigents’ bicycles; and
7) to conduct instructional safety seminars for bicyclists and motorist of all ages.
8) We worked with local governments in Mobile and Baldwin Counties drafting 3-foot ordinances. Mobile, Chickasaw, and Daphne passed the ordinances. We are continuing to work with the other municipalities. We are on the Bicycle Pedestrian Advisory Committee and are working with the appropriate officials regarding the accommodations for bicyclists and pedestrians in the area.
Two of our Board Members are licensed by the League of American Bicyclists as licensed bicycle instructors. We routinely present Bicycle Skills Classes, Bicycle Maintenance Classes, and Bicycle Rodeos at community events and schools.
Team Share the Roads also holds indigent bicycle maintenance clinics to install lights and performed maintenance on individuals that approached us at designated, informally announced, locations. We conducted Bicycling 101 classes to instruct the youth on the importance of bicycle safety and basic maintenance. We provide helmets to children and adults that do not have resources to purchase a helmet. We distribute safety vests, safety stickers, safety materials and pamphlets of the applicable laws.
Team Share the Road also organizes bicycling events. We organized Criteriums at Sunny South Raceway, organized the Joy to Life Ride, assisted Mobile Infirmary with the Duathlons, coordinated Rides of Silence for Mobile, and organized MSA Tour de Bay Criterium and Metric Century Ride with the Mobile Sports Authority.